ARTworks is a 501(c)3 organization founded in 1991.
Mission: ARTworks applies the many creative tools of The Arts to strengthen artists and to enrich audiences, collectors, and visitors through high quality arts experiences and arts education programs 365 days a year.
Vision: ARTworks, through its programs and community partnerships, will create exciting, stimulating and enriching vital arts experiences that increase opportunities for all people to participate in and appreciate the arts.
ARTworks accomplishes its mission by:
- Making the arts accessible and affordable to diverse audiences and participants
- Providing expert personnel and production resources through partnerships with individuals, organizations and municipalities
- Maintaining a home that guides, embraces and encourages the imagination of our community's youth and inspires and enriches the lives of our community's adults and active seniors
- Providing a unique community-centered venue, that is affordable for local production companies and artists, to present quality theater and multi-cultural music at a reasonable price in an intimate setting
- Ensuring an environment where all artists are nurtured and can thrive, grow, take risks and make daring choices
- Broadening the base of understanding, appreciation and support for the Arts through meaningful education initiatives and community partnerships
Executive Director ~ jwrone AT beaufortcountyarts.com
A theater director/producer/actor who has toured both nationally and internationally with an arts-in-education specialty; former Director of the Morgan Arts Council & Ice House in Berkeley Springs, WV. J.W. and his wife Jenny were hired by the ACBC in August 2006 as a management team (two heads for the price of one). Under J.W. & Jenny's leadership the organization has established ARTworks, partnered with the Town of Port Royal to produce free street music concerts, conducted an economic impact of the arts study, held the first Beaufort County Arts Summit, established an afterschool program, won a PICA Award for Best 4-color newsletter in the Carolina's, won a SC Center for the Book Award for Literacy Advocacy, created the "Beaufort International Chalk Festival," completed a year-long public art project ~ "Beaufort's Big Swim: Mermaids," partnered with MainStreet Beaufort to produce free performances in Waterfront Park, partnered with the Beaufort County School District and the Arts Center of Coastal Carolina as John F. Kennedy Center Partners in Education promoting and providing arts integration professional development for teachers.
Public Relations Coordinator ~ Lisa Rentz
A literary artist involved in the Beaufort County Schools Teaching Artist Program; and founder of the "Iodine Literary Projects." Lisa manages all public relations including press releases and the monthly e-newsletter. Lisa is also the Editor of ArtNews. The PICA Award and SC Center for the Book Award were products of her tireless work.
Program Coordinator ~ Heather Denardo
A theater educator and artist, Heather is primarily in charge of the ARTworks Youth programming including Afterschool and Summer Camps.
Office Assistant/Box Office ~ Michelle Rogers
A theater artist, Michelle is primarily in charge of administrative duties including being in-charge of the box office.
President ~ Claudette Humphrey (Retired Educator & artist; Term Expires 2014)
Vice President ~ Stacie van Vulpen (Jewelry Designer; Term Expires 2014)
Secretary ~ Joanne Matibag (Sgt., USMC; Term Expires 2013)
Treasurer ~ Jack Russell (Retired CPA & musician; Term Expires 2013)
Past President ~ Deanna Bowdish (Artist and Owner of The Gallery; Term Expires 2014)
Directors, Terms Expire 2013
- Helen Roper Dovell, Lawyer
- Veronica Miller, County Coordinator
Directors, Terms Expire 2014
- Mary I. Mack, Owner of Red Piano Too Gallery
- Cordes Marshall, Elementary School Teacher
- located at ~ 2127 Boundary Street, Suite 18A in Beaufort Town Center
- office hours are ~ Tuesday - Friday; 11am - 6pm; Saturday; Noon - 4pm
- office phone number is ~ (843) 379-ARTS
- mailing address is ~ PO Box 482; Beaufort, SC 29901